Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Half Nelson



I'm in LA all week. Taking lots of meetings. Learning about the way this new job is gonna be positioned. Getting tons of handouts.

Thinking and dreaming and wondering.

Lots of big questions with this one. Most of them involved moving. Could be moving to SF... Might be moving to CHINA. So what does that mean for everything?

Lots to think about.

Left a long day yesterday with a piercing headache. Went to an Albertson's and bought a pack of Tylenol and downed them with a Full Throttle.

Couldn't stand the thought of the empty hotel - so went to Boarders and bought a couple books - one on writing that seems great.

Went to see HALF NELSON.

I'm sure its not playing where you are - unless you're in NY or LA - but search this one out.

This is not a happy film.
It's not about a guy who does something and something happens and then everything changes. This is about life. Not my life - and hopefully not yours - unless you're a teacher who smokes crack - and Emily only qualifies for half of that (I hope) - but it is life nonetheless.

The movie moves at a snails pace - and not much happens - and the dots are rarely if ever connected - but there is a tension that fills the space. I have never seen shame portrayed this way - but I knew the feeling... And the acting is unbelievable. One of the writers directed - the other produced and edited.

It really is a remarkable achievement.

All of the things that we are told to do - they don't do. And that's why this film will do the business it does - and it's probably not what you want to model you're writing on...

But dear God... This movie will stay with me.

Every bone in your body aches for this kid who just keeps cycling down. Each time you want it to stop... But it doesn't.

And those of us who are truly aware of our conditions - and our sin - know this is how it works.

Very truthful film. Very honest film. Very powerful film.

It's not a laugh fest. It's really a downer - with a little hope - probably false hope - at the end. But wow.

If your in LA - please take a moment to support this...

Back to school... Back to school... To prove to dad I'm not a fool.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Seeds of Glass said...

China again eh? Sounds exciting...but not easy to pack up and go I'd imagine.
There is no specific person attached to my post. It started in a creative writing assignment in highschool, and I didn't want to use it so I buried it for a while, finished it later, and posted it now.

6:51 PM

 
Blogger Seeds of Glass said...

BTW, I was thinking about Latin music today and it reminded me of all the sweet music you had on your ipod that rainy day at work in the Barn. You said alot of it came off of a free website...?

10:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home