Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Don't give up....


You still have... Friends...

Look.

I am no motivational speaker. I'm not Tony Robbins.

But here is the thing.

Are you happy where you are? Are you growing as a writer/person?

If the answer is no - why are you there?

Are you challenged? Is the experience you're getting helping you in any way to reach your goals as a writer/person?

Then leave.

Why stay?

There are lots of jobs. If you just work to support your writing habit - fine. But are you writing? If not - get on it.

If you work because you have a wife and kids and have no choice - I understand. I've done it. I do it. But find something that allows you to get on the path towards something not the path away from something.

Some of the best writing - books, music, scripts - were done by people living in a one room apartment - hungry for sucess, striving to be the best they could be... it wasn't until later that they were fat and lazy and living off the Hollywood teat.

The older you get - the more tempting the road of ease is. Don't fall for it. Keep reaching. Keep moving forward. There is no better time to take that step than now.

I have left a lot of high paying jobs for lower ones because the opportunities were better. I am now taking a high paying one because the challenge of this job is really incredible.

Is it allowing me to write? Yes.
Am I doing it? Not as much as I should. But its not the jobs fault... Just mine and mine alone.

Gotta get used to this flying back and forth and time zone change and hotel living... But like I said - excuses. Just need to make time.

Like now.

If you don't care - neither will anyone else. Today is the day.

Start writing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Seeds of Glass said...

carpe scriptum

9:45 AM

 
Blogger brenderlin said...

Yep. Born and raised in Virginia Beach. I'm just in PA for school, and then hopefully moving out to LA to break in.

As for the script, I'm taking a screenwriting workshop class - which means I'll be writing it AS HOMEWORK. Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me. And it's the same class I'm reading "On Writing" for. And I know what you mean, I don't think I could go with no plot roadmap at all - at least not on a screenplay. I feel like roaming narrative would work better in the novel than in a film - unless of course you're a French New Wave filmmaker. Then you can do whatever the hell you want.

11:19 AM

 
Blogger brenderlin said...

Yeah. I've lived in Kempsville most of my life (either in Charlestown or Brigadoon), and my dad works for Mr. Pat Robertson at the Christian Broadcasting Network. I went to Sovereign Grace Church in Chesapeake (previously known as Southside Church, when it met at Salem Middle School). I enjoy long walks on the beach, and French food.

Actually, I hate the beach, and I've never had french food. But yeah. Small world.

How was New Dominion pictures? I've heard some things about it - both good and bad - and I was wondering what a (former) insider thought of it. I was once considering trying to get a summer job there, although, granted, I really didn't do much beyond considering it.

1:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home