Sunday, August 27, 2006

Old Friends



Talked to one of my oldest friends last night.
Let's call him Bill - cause that's his name.

My family moved around a lot. I went to a different school almost every year till junior high. We lived in 4 states by the time I hit forth grade - and that's where I met Bill.

We lived in a suburb of Cincinnati at the time. And my parents started making this 45 minute trek to go to church. Bill lived next to the church - and we became friends in Sunday school. We moved away the next year - but then came back to the area for 6th grade. And we lived next to the church too. That's when we became best friends.

We did all the sort of thing that young boys do. Mostly get in trouble. We find tunnels under the church. We climbed up in the bell tower - through the carcasses of dead pigeons. We threw firecrackers at cars...

One night we had a sleepover and one of Bill's older brothers dressed in black and put a mask on and broke into the basement where we were sleeping and scared the hell out of us.

Of course - we moved away after that. Overseas. To Taiwan. Bill came and visited for a summer. We had a blast. Took him on a hike to the most dangerous mountain in Taiwan and he almost died. But still had fun.

Fast forward a couple years.

We end up at the same college in Chicago. Through a weird quirk - I go to a school in Florida my freshman year - but Bill hits Chicago and ends up rooming with one of my best friends from Taiwan.

I transfer over my sophomore year and we are all fast friends again.

Another strange thing: we end up dating a lot of the same girls.

Well - almost dating. He had a thing going with the woman that is now his wife. They would date and break up and date again. I tried to date her at one point - in between break ups of course - and it never worked out.

Meanwhile - he dated this really hot Asian girl at college. After he broke her heart and she was all vulnerable - I snuck in and started dating her - before she could come to her senses.

Now we've been married 17 years. And Bill was best man at the wedding.

We've gone down different roads. I work in film and TV - and Bill is a pastor. Who has adopted 4 black girls. Who has a great heart. Who works to save peoples souls.

While I just keep making their souls blacker with my poison scripts.

So that cosmic balance can be achieved.

But it is great to know that when you actually have a common history with someone - all it takes is a stinking phone call to revive that relationship. An hour on the phone and you go back to elementary school - reliving the glory days of getting busted.

I was so happy - I pissed my pants.

Here's to you Bill. God Bless...

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily Blake said...

That's beautiful. And so true. I saw people at my high school reunion that I missed horribly but hadn't bothered to find for so long. Getting together for one night was enough to completely rekindle the old friendships. And now, thanks to Myspace, we never have to be apart again.

10:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home