Friday, September 29, 2006

Calling from the Future



I was talking with my daughter yesterday.

She woke up in the night - crying. Went downstairs - cause my wife - who is part vampire (I'm never sure which part, but I can guess) refuses to sleep.

Anyway.

My daughter was crying cause she was thinking about dying. And it was really freaking her out.

She's 9.

Sigh.

So I didn't get to talk to her till the next day. So I told her what Wesley tells the Princess Bride.

"Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something."

No.

I told her it would be Ok. If only for the next twelve hours. And the reason I knew this was that I was in the future. While it was morning there in Indiana - here in China - it was already night. And things were still here and OK twelve hours in the future.

So she shouldn't panic yet. At least not until my next call.

Don't know if I solved anything - but she did laugh.

Her laugh sparkles like a diamond. And makes me smile.

Yesterday was a good day.

Had a really good meeting with the production company. My Chinese is slowing coming back - trying to remember all the film terms is challenging. But I think I did fine for being completely immersed all morning with people who didn't speak a word of English.

I really like these guys. And not just because the 54 year old Director invited me to play basketball last night.

That's right.

I haven't played basketball yet this year.

Side note. I used to play. A lot. Three four times a week. Not because I was good - I was far from it. But I love the game. Love running. Love the teamwork aspects when its done right.

But I haven't played in a year. No real games in Indy. (I know - how silly is that) Haven't found the right people. And my Achilles acts up so bad when I move side to side its almost not worth it. Sad - cause that mean I have to run again - and I hate running.

Anyway. I show up and there is only 10 of us. And they play full court. Nice gym - inside a hotel - but it is a FULL court. I get on a team with one other guy and three girls. But- two of these girls play on the Police National team. One of the girls was at least 6'2 and hit at least 10 3 pointers.

We played three 40 minute periods. With no subs. Eeeeee... They called me Lao Fan - which means Old Greg... Thanks, guys... :) I availed myself with my one move - a slashing right handed lay up. Made a good number of points - but I mostly passed.

But more important - I had a great time. Even if it was against a bunch of old men.

Like me.

Maybe the future aint so bad at all....

1 Comments:

Blogger wcdixon said...

Been through that which each of my kids - always around age 8-10 - it's like something 'clicks' and death/mortality becomes more than an abstract concept. I remember bawling my eyes out around that age telling my mom I didn't want to die - one of my few memories from way back then. Anyway, yer on a heck of adventure - hope it keeps going well...good stuff.

1:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home