Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Welcome to China


Now bend over...

It's gotta get better right?

Let's start with United Airlines. Brilliant US based carrier. Very happy to say on their website that they offer power for laptops on all international flights. What they don't tell you is that you can only use your computer if you have a special adapter to plug it in with. And they sell them - for only $120 apiece.

Wow.

So that makes the 14 hour flight even longer.

No wait. The Divinci Code made the flight even longer. Wow. That was the most amount of talk ever in a movie. They talked so much the films should be adapted to a play. And while I used to say that I was not offended by Last Temptation of Christ because I saw nothing in it that resembled my beliefs - Divinci Code goes one step further by saying that everyone that believes is part of a grand conspiracy of lies.

The true offense of that movie is that it bores you to death.

Left the plane - got in a cab. The driver has no idea where the hotel is. We drive for 2 HOURS to make a 20 minute trip. We stop no fewer than three times to ask for directions. If I wasn't so jet lagged - I would have screamed.

Even still - two hours in the cab cost me $17. If your lost, its hard to beat those China prices.

Left the cab and went to my room.

Nice room. Window looks straight into a crane doing construction next door. Pull out the laptop to check in - AND I CAN'T GET ON. I get a new ethernet cable. I spend 2 HOURS on the phone with a guy in INDIA trying to figure out what's wrong - when I can tell him. It's something in the wall and not with my computer.

2 HOURS later - I finally convince him.

The hotel moves me to another room. And what do you know? The internet works here.

Looking up!

Except its a smoking room. Always something with you, eh?

Force myself to stay up late. Turn all the lights out at midnight and fall asleep. Pray to make it through the night. Finally wake up - realizing I left my watch by the computer in the other room. It's gotta be morning right?

Right?

Stumble into the other room - wide awake now.

2:36. I slept almost three hours. So... Only 10 hours till my first meeting.

Welcome to China.

You think they sell Full Throttle here?

3 Comments:

Blogger Seeds of Glass said...

hang in there man. At least it makes for some great stories for the rest of us to read about. I appreciate the great pains you take to secure our entertainment. Thanks very much.

1:08 PM

 
Blogger japhy99 said...

Oh, they have Full Throttle there. But I'm fairly certain it's laced with black tar heroin.

Welcome to the East brother! Now rest up and get to work.

1:40 PM

 
Blogger Mystery Man said...

Hehehe...

That picture and the comments about the Da Vince Code - great. I couldn't agree with you more about that movie.

-MM

9:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home