Thursday, September 21, 2006

The lies we tell ourselves


The truth is a bitch.

Here's a question:

How can you call yourself a writer if you don't write?

Is it just by the very nature of the fact that you want to write that sets you apart from the rest? That somehow - by intention alone - you will "will" yourself into a state of being that necessitates others deem you a writer? By somehow fooling yourself that by letting the world know your profession you will shame yourself into becoming that which you claim?

I've found it doesn't work like that.

The world is a strange and cruel place.

There are writers that write everyday. That makes them writers.

The sad fact is- It doesn't necessarily make them good writers.

There are writers who slap something together at the last second - moments before they dash madly to class that somehow are able to express themselves in a way that flows better than the kid that labored for weeks on finding just the right word.

Life is cruel. And I don't understand it.

Everyone wants an agent. Everyone wants a manager. Everyone wants to make the big sale.

I have an agent. I have a manager. I haven't made the sale - but I've been optioned 4 times - and actually had a start date once.

Truth is - I ain't much of a writer.

I know way better writers than me. Check out any of the links from this blog. Out of all my writer friends - I am the worst. The most inconsistent - this blog withstanding. Only one writer friend of mine has an agent.

And his agent takes 3 months and counting to read his script. And this guy has already had a big sale to a big studio. And he still can't even get his agent to read his script!

Hard fact: you can get better by writing more and more. But if you're not good to begin with....? You might have to write a lot. And even if you are good - the odds aren't. Good isn't enough. Hell - to break in - great isn't enough. But if you do have something sellable... Well - that's another story.

And if you are good to begin with....?

I wish I had better news to report. But the truth is - I really don't think there's rhyme or reason. It's just that once you sell something - people wanna be in business with you. And that doesn't mean that you'll be successful or good - it just means that your hireable. And the more hireable you are - the more work you get. And that doesn't mean you're good - just that you've become successful.

And it keeps going. Not to say that the people who are successful aren't good - cause they usually are...

But hey.

Don't get sad. Get mad. I'm sure you're the one who none of this applies too. You're different. You know that Hollywood is gonna beat down your door. Cause you got that "idea." It really close to becoming a "script." And you know as soon as you start "writing" a "big STAR" is gonna be interested in it. And then theres no way it won't get a big fat "green light."

Please. Keep talking. Hell - keep blogging.
Do everything but sit down and write and get better.

Cause the last thing us liars - writers- need is more competition.

1 Comments:

Blogger japhy99 said...

I've left a trail of cocaine-encrusted bread crumbs from Hollywood to my door... and not a damn knock to speak of.

I still have to live vicariously through you...

2:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home