Friday, June 23, 2006

He who fights and runs away....



Ok.

So it didn't work.

We were close. We had a start date. We were ready to go.

But it didn't happen.

Now I understand why Indy companies don't actually buy the script till a couple days before production starts.

It makes sense now.

There is nothing like a lesson learned at the cost of three years of your life and your entire savings.

But I guess it was nice while it lasted... Even though it was fleeting and ultimately empty - I do have some really great things to show for my brush with greatness.

Contacts.
Agents.
Friends in LA.
New Relationships with people who want to work with me.
Open doors at a lot of companies.

Sent off an email yesterday to my main guy at the mini-major. I told him that we would be going out with the script. I thanked him for his help and all that his company did - and told him that I really learned a lot from the way he conducted his business.

He thanked me. Told me that he loved the script - and that it deserved to be made. That they would still love to participate in a co-financing deal - or a foreign sales deal. That anything I write - they would love to read.

And I actually believe him.

He was a really fair and honest guy.

But today starts a new chapter.

I called my agents and told them - let's do this. Let's take this out.

In the last week, I have gotten calls from three companies asking about the script. They all love it - not me directing it - but they love it.

So we are gonna take it out.

And here are the options as I see it.

1. Nobody wants it.
2. Somebody wants it.

Nice and simple.

My agents were really excited. Now there is money to be made. They sounded very happy...Their dark powers finally had me in their grip.

My agent told me at the end of the call -

Don't worry. If we can't sell it - then we will package it with our Indy guys and you direct it for like 5 million. That will really mean that's what you're supposed to do...



So what do you say when the consolation prize sounds better than the prize?

Just gotta keep running....

2 Comments:

Blogger japhy99 said...

Bravo.

I know it was a tough decision but I think it's the wise one.

It'll work out. It has to.

You're on your way. Don't forget about the little people.

And by that I mean gnomes.

8:12 AM

 
Blogger glassblowerscat said...

Seriously, get back here; I need your mind, and the world revolves around me.

So excited about the [hopefully] imminent making of money for you.

9:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home