Monday, June 19, 2006

What am I?



Very tricky situation indeed.

Not exactly sure where things are and where they are going.

For anyone that showed up yesterday... Sorry bout that. I actually gave myself a father's day off. First time in a few months. But go figure. That's how life works.

I sat on the beach last night having dinner with my DP and an old producer friend of mine. Back in 1997 we produced a film project that was for international use - a kid's program that would go into each culture with music and pictures and not require words.

I have gotten a lot of work off that show.

Now - the producer is teaching classes, studying at Harvard, and getting ready to do traveling installations.

The DP is still keeping on. He is getting ready to shoot an indy feature here in the area.

And here I am Art Directing.

I am not necessarily having a crisis of faith - but it is strange to be here - telling people what I am doing. In this business - so much is based on perception. I have always been a producer/director. And now - I'm here working in the art department.

I don't have much of an ego - and I really do appreciate the work. But it is an interesting situation.

Beyond that - I still can't quite figure out what to do with this script. And part of that is because it will determine who I will be in Hollywood. Do I really want to be seen as a writer and get some quick cash in my pocket? Or do I want to really fight through and be the director of this film and struggle with it a couple more years before it comes out?

Still really not sure.

The easy answer is sell it. The hard one is living with it.

My brain is telling me no - but my body is telling me yes... As R Kelly used to say.

Who knows - maybe he still says it - but hopefully not with the video camera running.

Well - I do feel like the old Cylons. Getting up their in age - replaced by the new models...

But somehow there is a light at the end of the tunnel... And believe me -

I hope its not a truck.

2 Comments:

Blogger japhy99 said...

I understand the who-am-I. Friz was just saying that if everything that could go wrong, does, and Dismal crashes, he doesn't know if he'll be able to go back to the way things were...

Remember, there's a precedent for a director getting started as a writer.

10:16 AM

 
Blogger glassblowerscat said...

I'll tell you who you are right now, if you want:

The nancy-boy writer-director who won't suck it up and just sell his very-in-demand script so he can negotiate a contract to direct off the next one.

You can quit being that guy any time you want, Sally.

5:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home