Thursday, April 06, 2006

I love it when a plan comes together



I think it takes more people to get a film up and running than it does to declare war on another country. Granted - here, we just need the commander-in-chief to say it - but a film is another beast. It is stars, and all their people - and their people's people. It is crew. And where to shoot. And how much to spend. And when to do it. And after a while - you see why Tom Cruise makes so much money.

Because he needs it to pay for those damn e-meters to stop those thetans from keeping the brother down.

So regardless of how you'd like to believe that there is this whole "come on kids! Let's put on a show" quality to movies - it just not that way. It's easier to carry an elephant on your back.

And if I had to bring it back around to writing, I'd say this:

Even with a plan - it ain't easy.

Some people love the idea of a starting point with no finish. And all ideas start this way. But before you go forward thinking your genius will carry you through to the end - you better be a freaking Einstein of scriptwriting. Unless you are the hidden Hemmingway that is the exception to the rule - you're gonna get lost in the woods.

Now - I have tried it. I have drawers full of 30 page scripts that were aborted before full term. And I actually have slapped my way through a couple scripts that weren't fully planned out but were in fact a collage of daily musing that somehow made their way - following a trail of stale bread crumbs and made it to the end.

But - just because it can be done - doesn't mean it is to be done.

Usually - there is a reason you haven't figured out how things will work. You are lazy. And think it will come to you as you go. It can work this way - if you are either incredibly discipline and inspired - or you have a couple years to finish.

Each night that I go to bed - I leave a couple cookies next to my still-powered laptop hoping that the screenwriting elves come and finish a couple scenes for me - giving me insight into where I should be going. But it has yet to come to completion.

Each script needs the A-Team. And here's how I would break that down.

Hannibal - the plan - or outline. He sets the plan in motion and can always serve as the big picture. When things go wrong and start to fall apart - you return to Hannibal for some perspective - and you start again - knowing which direction to go.

B.A Baracus - the discipline. No plan gets carried out without someone to do the heavy lifting. If you aren't willing to get dirty and do the work - pack it in. There are a lot of people out there just as hungry if not more so. So sit your ass down at the computer and type. Everyday. Nancy.

Templeton "Faceman" Peck - This is probably best described as the style factor. No matter how good your plan and discipline - without a bit of BS and style - its hard to get through. Henry Miller says that anyone can tell a story - but only you can tell the story your way. (paraphrased) What is it that makes that story yours? What touches go in that only you can do? Why do they need you to tell this and not someone else? This is also the fun factor - What parts of your script make you smile and enjoy what you're doing?

H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdoch - the madness. It's not gonna be easy - cause if it was, more people would do it. You have to be a little crazy if you are willing to be an observer of society, while at the same time completely cutting yourself off from everyone and trying to come up with something cool and profound. Eventually all those little voices in your head start talking on the page - and for months at a time - they are your best friends. Can you live with that? Can you?!?!

(and the lady...? That's your reward if you do good my friends... Oh yeah....)

So that's my bad analogy for the day.

I gotta call on all of them (especially the lady... if you know what I mean... and I think you do...)to get me past these tough spots in my script.

And hopefully I can get through another day - one step ahead of Johnny Law....

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You know how i know you're gay. You actually know all of the characters in the A-Team and then pretend that you like the woman.

M. Bootles

8:30 AM

 
Blogger YAJC said...

Alas, I have no team - just a fat man living in a van, down by the river.

9:00 AM

 
Blogger glassblowerscat said...

Look at you, you smart bastard … ou learned how to edit your links!

3:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home