Wednesday, March 22, 2006

When it rains.....It pours

So... Like I talked about yesterday - Hollywood is all about the waiting game. If you are trying to get in. Once you are already in, I guess it moves faster - but that goes back to my "once I do this, then it will all be easier" theory that is quickly shaping up to be caa caa.

I think you always have to do more - probably no matter where you are. You are always having to hustle yourself.

So yesterday was a big day.

I wish I could say it was all good news... But even bad news is good news. Just hearing something is so much better than the void of silence that means that no one really cares.

(Just a quick reminder - I have a big script with a medium sized studio - top talent attached - and we are waiting for availabilities... It has been 2 years... And we still wait....)

(Additional recap - I have produced and directed a ton of series for the Discovery Channel - like 14 series or so. I saved and saved for the day I would leave and try to break into film. Wrote a script and took off. That was almost exactly three years ago... So that savings is on "E" and desperately looking to drop lower....)

SO I had a few options on the table... Money possibilities... That I hoped would come through... And I know I can always go push carts at WalMart - and believe me, it has crossed my mind... But for now - I'm hoping and praying one comes through.

1) Got a call on my medical thriller pitch. A big studio recommended me as a writer for a "take" on a producers idea. A "take" - something that really deserves its own post - is where you write up an idea for free - just the treatment part. This story was based on an idea they created. I spent three months going back and forth with the producer and her assistant - trying to cram some crazy ideas into a story - only to be told they sent the take to the studio - and they studio said - love the ending - its too confusing - and make it scarier...I always felt they had too much philosophy and not enough thrills... So its back to the drawing board. They essentially told me to do with it whatever I wanted - but make it scarier.... So go figure... That's a page one do over. But I want to keep a good relationship with not only the producer - but the studio... So that's back to the beginning.

2)My film. This is the project that opened all my doors. Got me a manager and agents. People really like this dark sick movie - and it has done me well. But there is no way that it is being made yet. Big star has a pay or play for a big film going overseas. 3 weeks ago, that film looked like it was falling apart and they wanted us to move up - but now they have been saved and we are pushed again. Theoretically to winter. We shall see....

3)My new script. Just finished a new script. Did it pretty fast - and it felt really good. Got great feedback from those I trust - a circle of about 5 guys - mostly writers. Just got the call from my agents yesterday.

They really like... Half of it...

Its a tough film that starts as a romantic comedy and turns into a thriller. Not the best combo. They love the first half - not sure about the second. So while I was really happy to hear from them - I really have to think if I want to rework the whole second half - or just leave it and see that I really wanted it to be this way.

So a lot to process.

But either way - none of these is really anything close to a payday yet....

so maybe Walmart in the meantime....?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home