Sunday, March 19, 2006

we shall see....

So yesterday....

Started in on a new outline.

When I first got my agents - who loved my first script - or so they said... They had me come out to LA for a week of meet and greets... Now, to understand this - this is basically a bunch of meetings with people that the agents either A)know well enough that they will take time out of their schedule with some new kid as a favor to the agents or B) they actually read your script and want to meet with you. I truthfully can not tell you which was which - although probably truth be told - most of the people were probably in the A category.

I think I did like 20 meetings in 5 days - driving all the heck over LA from studio to studio trying to make these meetings... It was highly amusing...

There were a couple people that actually proved to be fans... People that I really liked and who have since sent me stuff for me to do my "take" on - "take" effectively meaning - figuring out an entire script for free.

At the time of these meetings, I was actually shuttling back and forth from Indiana to Virginia - producing a series for the Discovery Channel. So inevitably - when I would be asked what I was doing, I would mention that - and inevitably - they would say something along the lines of - "well that would make a great movie."

And truthfully - when you are in the middle of a series - and you are exhausting every idea for that show that you possibly can - the last thing you want to do is come up with another idea - an original one - based in that same fricking world.

But somehow - after the 10th person says "hey - that would make a great movie" you start thinking maybe there is something else there... And so in a really poorly misguided way - I did the pathetic writer thing - stumbling through a fake pitch about what the movie might be about - and watching the execs eyes light up - wow! That's a great idea... Why don't you send me something about that....

Bleah.

So here I am - 4 months later - on the weekend where I am waiting for notes on my first script of the year - revisiting that other idea and seeing if I can do more than just make notes out of it. Turn it into an actual outline. See if there is script there... I think there is...

But - does that mean "it will make a great movie?"

We will see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home