Thursday, March 23, 2006

Big Decision

Here is the dilemma:

I wrote a script. Thing about me that you probably ought to know is that I love being manipulated by films. There is nothing I like more than being thrown into a movie without knowing what is going on and trying to play catch up.

There are so many films - that you know exactly what is going to happen. You watch the trailer and it actually tells you the entire story. The trailer really leaves you almost no reason at all to even watch the film.

But every now and then, a movie comes along that really messes with you. Like Sixth Sense. Or Memento. Incredible. You have to re-evaluate everything that you saw before to make sense of what you see next. I love it.

Now that is just what I aspire to - but it is obviously not a level I have yet reached.

The script I just finished is a con film. Sort of a romantic comedy con film...But halfway through - at the midpoint - crazy shit starts happening and everything is thrown into disarray as the movie becomes more of a thriller...

Now - my circle of writers all liked this and didn't mind it at all. I knew this was an issue - because - in my wild dreams - should this movie ever get made and you try to sell it - what do you sell? The romantic comedy or the thriller? Which is it?

And most of the American movie going public wants Big Mac's. They don't wanna buy a ticket for a Big Mac and find out half way through their sandwich that it is a fish filet...

So there is my dilemma. While I think the film works fine as it is - with a bit more tweaking - my agents think that the first part of the film works so well - that it could really be a big commercial film with big actors in the parts...

So either I say - screw you, punks. This is the movie I'm making. Or I go back and rewrite the second half to make it more like the first....

Sigh.

Nothing is ever easy.

2 Comments:

Blogger YAJC said...

easy never feels as rewarding----now that you mention it, i see the difference between the two halves-eh, but i thought it worked

10:28 AM

 
Blogger glassblowerscat said...

I feel like a jerk because I haven't seen you in a week. It's no fun to get bad news from a blog. :( Sorry about the push back to winter ... I'll catch up with you on Monday, hopefully, and then I can mock you properly.

1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home