Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Where's your head at?


Emily is right.

Where's your head at?

Are you really a writer? Or are you just like the thousands of other guys in LA - talking about being a writer?

I ask myself that question on a daily basis. Most of the time - I don't like the answer.

And I'm luckier than most.

I have an agent. In fact - I have two. I have a manager. I have producers sending me short stories they want me to look at and ideas they want me to develop.

But if you wanted to eat on what I've earned as a writer - even a mouse would go hungry. Hell - I tried to live on air for two years and all it got me was an empty bank account.

Last year - I wrote a script in January. Had a draft to my agent by March. Thought I would kick out at least two more scripts that year.

Whoops.

Seems I like to talk about writing more than I like to write. And rewriting ranks lower than writing.

Granted - I did have a greenlit movie fall apart - and then had to devote myself to actually working for the rest of the year - but still...

In the time I was complaining - Ryan wrote two scripts. David wrote a script and produced a film based on that script - and is in the middle of a rewrite on a brilliant script he did earlier. Blair - well... Blair is producing and starring in a podcast - and has yet to even go back to blogging...So it's nice to know I'm at least better than one of my circle.

I am writing a bit.

I have 3 scripts about 20 pages long. But like the belle of the ball - I'm having some commitment issues.

I hope this year is different. I hope this year is better... I hope to get my act together and write more. And more. And not just pages - but good pages.

Its not hard - it just takes time, focus and discipline.

And I lack time, focus and discipline.

But this is 007. And maybe this year - I'll actually obtain a license to write.

As long as I can find my head - and get it in the game.

But for now - it's another day on a plane. I'm going back to Cali...

2 Comments:

Blogger japhy99 said...

Ryan leaves us all in the dust, that pugnacious and prolific bastard.

But you, son, are the one with some heat about you. All the work is bubbling up there, some being pitched to you, some coming from that odd little mind you have in that big ol' head. But there's a lot going on, and this is the year it's gonna gel.

Don't forget about us little people. Especially Blair. Oh, Blair...

9:50 AM

 
Blogger glassblowerscat said...

Why do I get all the grief? My only crime is being young and unattached enough to work a horribly low-paying job that gives me hours at a time to use for writing. Woe is me.

I say to hell with time, focus, discipline. Stick with guilt. Lots and lots of guilt. And greed. Write for the benjamins. I know I do.

12:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home