Tuesday, December 26, 2006

And then what?


This business is a fascinating thing.

My mom always comments on how we live a live in flux.

She was telling a friend last night at Christmas dinner how she was kinda sad - as this is the last Christmas my family would be spending here - since we would be moving to SF soon.

I told her not to be so hasty.

We're supposed to move in June. But 6 months is a long time. Lots of things happen in 6 months. Who knows what we will be doing by then. There is no gaurantee we will be going.

And that's how this life is lived.

It's not enough to write a script. Little Miss Sunshine did great this year - but it was written over 5 years ago - and was in active development all that time. It still took 5 years from then to get it done.

My film has been optioned three times. It was greenlit with a 10 million dollar budget. Had two big stars attached. Ready to be filmed in August. Then - nothing.

Now - maybe starting up again.

I was approached by New Regency with a short story. They hooked me up with a producer from Gold Circle. We tanked the story. But the producer still liked me and he tried to help me when the film fell apart. He tried hooking me up with money guys, with actors, with other producers.

Now he wants me to read a short story he wants to do with me. And I'm gonna read it this morning.

I'm 20 pages in on two different stories - and I'm ready to look at a third.

I'm still writing.

Can't seem to give it up.

When I look at the new year - all I see is fog. There is no future yet. I look at it as it is written - 3-5 feet ahead of me at a time - dragging my family kicking and screaming behind me.

While this does make things hard for planning - it's exciting too. What's next? Another year of failure? Or new little successes?

It's all the same. One little victory at a time. Celebrating it one day - and back to work the next. I just have to keep up the work. Not get too grumpy - and keep spitting out pages.

One at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home