Saturday, November 25, 2006

Oh Kramer - we didn't know you...



Spoiler Warning: Not pretty language here.


I like to think of Kramer busting into Jerry's apartment, falling over something imaginary and then recovering with wild hand gestures.

Not like this.

How do you react to something like this?

Hopefully - not like this...



Every time I feel as if we are moving past something like racism - it comes back and slaps us in the ass. I grew up as a minority - a white guy in Asia. We weren't mistreated or looked down on or oppressed - but we were the minority.

In this age of multi-cultural ism and MTV - I find racism such a strange and outdated concept.

Kind of like suspenders.

You don't see them very much anymore - and when you do - you get a weird feeling like you just woke Rumpelstiltskin.

When we see a movie about the Holocaust - I always feel surprised - like - everyone knows what happened. Do we need to see it again? And then I watch Borat getting people to sing about throwing Jews down the well - and I think Wow! What is happening in the world? Is our memory so short?

I admit. I am naive. But what the heck? Whenever I hear this nonsense - I feel as if I'm watching a movie from the 50's. And how the heck did Kramer think that this is appropriate or funny? It's not edgy to be so stupid. It's just stupid.

He is right about one thing. It seems he is full of rage.

But what does Kramer have to be mad about? I guess success is never enough.

There's nothing funny about this - and I'm not trying to make it so. It's mostly very sad. We are not moving forward with this kinda nonsense.

And yet - each day we do similar nonsense - and I guess when we think we are exempt and better than - we do ourselves a similar disservice.

While my black heart is not full of racism - it is full of its own junk. And far be it from me to reveal my sin in a comedy club full of people with video cameras on their cell phones...

There but for the grace of God goes I... and Kramer...

God forgive us all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home