Monday, November 13, 2006

The embargo is lifted



Welcome back, Mr Bootles.

It was a week - but now it's time to bring in the CLOWNS.

Sorry Emily.

Met with Ryan today.

We went through a lot of talk - some nonsense about Prestige being a better film than Memento - and silly talk about Superman being a good film - and then went over notes for his rewrite of how to marry your cousin - an old script of his.

I have been playing in my head.

I don't know how you come up with your ideas or how you work them - but I like to dream about them. I like to think up all the ways a scene could go - and usually - the better I see it - the better it comes out.

Ryan has a theory that I write better without a plan.

I don't like to give credence to that. It's a bit scary. And a bit sad.

But there is something to it. My script that got the most attention was written by me constantly putting my hero into worse and worse situations and then taking a couple weeks to figure out how to get him out. And then put him in another bad situation...

And the script that I'm most proud of - that hasn't gone out at all - was written by me waking up every day and trying to think of the coolest thing I could think of - and then writing it.

This new one is starting to gel.

I've got a whiz-bang open. And a killer first act. And ideas about what happens next... But not a lot. And no idea how it all plays out. But I know where it begins...

Now I'm fighting to write it. But I know once it starts coming out - it's easy to drop it when you don't know where its going. I used to say its foolish to start without having an outline.

But what is a writer if not foolish?

I'm doing my best to figure it out...

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily Blake said...

Raping clowns: worse than bland stuffing.

I'm curious. If you don't have a plan when you start writing, how long does it usually take you to get a completed draft? Do you do a straight draft and then revise it or do you constantly rewrite as you go? There's no way I could ever do that, so I'm curious about how other people manage it.

12:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great Picture! How did you find my college yearbook. I didn't know anyone had rendered an artistic impression of me courting my future bride.

Good to see the clowns again. I fancy myself an old school clown with a bit of alley cat smoothness.

Great to have you back state side for a bit, Greg. If you are pleased with Bill's efforts, you should see the work in progress. Priceless.

M. Bootles

1:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home