Wednesday, November 08, 2006

And then that happened....



Spent the day on the set of a Chinese commercial shot by my new partners.

It was interesting to watch.

Doesn't matter the language or the culture - the problems are the same.

We met up at the Beijing film studio - the same place that Tarantino shot Kill Bill. We waited around outside for our ride - with all the other extras waiting for their shot to be discovered - just like in the old days. One guy walked around without his shirt - his chest inscribed with all manner of Chinese characters that Jade said were basically gibberish - saying that you had to stand out if you want the director to recognize you.

He stood out. And was left out as well.

We were driven to a home near the zoo that was where one of the former empress lived. It had been restored - but was still quite gaudy. I think - although I am not sure - that the commercial was for some sort of high class real estate company. There were a lot of foreigners in the spot - and when I asked where they found them -Director Hu assured me that his foreigners were much cheaper than other directors foreigners. I told him they were a lot stupider too - cause they couldn't follow even the simplest direction.

It was entertaining to watch the Chinese actor at the big table being waited on hand and foot by white European butlers and cooks. Just like God intended.

Twice Director Hu tried to rope me into the commercial - but I told him - as readers here know - I only act in pants without buttocks - and he had none - so I stayed on the sidelines.

I asked Producer Swun if we be using any of this crew for our commercial and he said:

No. Your crew will be much better.

What the heck does that mean?

Everything moved smoothly and quickly. Much better than our last shoot here. I can only hope when we return next month our shoot goes half as well.

Tonight - I hook up with my old friend and producer Hogan. He has been very successful since we left so it will be fun to see him. He used to say we treated him like a dog - and I disagree - it was more like a very naughty child.

We're going to quiz night at Bar Blu... Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home