Thursday, August 10, 2006

You got a piece of me...


But its just a little piece of me...
And I don't need anyone
And these days I feel like I'm fading away...
Counting Crows - "Have you seen me lately"

First - let me say - that it is awesome to have my computer back. I know that sounds really silly - but something about trying to go back to the expanded keyboard and all that it entails where you are constantly hitting backspace cause your fingers are not in the right space and you somehow keep hitting semicolon instead of apostrophe...

Anyway...

I welcomed my computer back into my house like a navy wife waiting for her husband to return after 6 months at sea.

Lots of candles. A little Barry White. And lots of love...

Needless to say - I was extremely happy. And still am today.

In spite of everything else.

I did get an email from SF.
As you may or may not remember - I was flown out there for a job interview. They said they would get back to me the next week - which was two weeks ago. Then - yesterday - the job I applied for was back up on the job boards.

So you see why I was a little nervous.

Not that I even necessarily want this job. But I definitely want to be wanted... :)

Actually - the job could be great. It would get me out on the West Coast - splitting my time between SF and LA and China... Three of my favorite places - and more than that - it would pay well. And money is my biggest problem right now.

Anyways.

They sent me an email yesterday. Letting me know that everyone went on vacation after I left and are now in the process of coming back. And they want to fly me to LA and meet with the guy there before they make the final decision. So sometime in the next couple weeks - I will apparently be going to LA.

Which is nice. Cause it dovetails into my next point.

How much of your soul can you sell and still be a man?

Actually I know what you're thinking... Does Greg even have any soul to sell?

Or

Was Greg deluding himself into thinking he was a man?

I have a new term.
I'm calling it the "Hollywood Memory."

I define it as - I screwed you yesterday, and then pretend that I didn't today. Cause now, I need something from you.

Spent time on the phone with STAR1's agent yesterday. We hadn't talked in a week - with the conversation being left that the agent was to get STAR1's brother on the phone with me.

But it didn't happen.

After a week - I decided to check back in. Especially since nothing was going on with my script on the market. Last thing was that BIG DIRECTOR finally decided that, while he loved the script - since it wasn't set up - he would pass.

So AGENT calls me up - and he basically tells me that he isn't going to do anything else on the script - while he loves it - he isn't gonna do anything cause STAR1's company doesn't own the script - and until they do - nothing will happen - and he starts going at me. Typical agents stuff - throw me off balance - especially after kissing my ass for the last week.

But he doesn't know me - and doesn't know that I have gone up against some of the most passive aggressive assholes in the business - and he hasn't taken into account that I can be an asshole too - so I settle him down and remind him that he was to call me - with STAR1's brother - and that was where the conversation was left.

So he calmed immediately and got the brother on the phone.

We talked. Nicely. Me, knowing that this was the guy who basically turned my greenlight on the film to a red one. And I never brought up the past.

Bottom line: They want to option the script.

At one point he made reference to the fact that the movie fell apart because of the ego of one of my producers - but he didn't want any bad blood. Truth is, that producer of mine is the most egoless person there is. The movie fell apart because of the brother's ego.

But here is my dilemma.

Now I can choose to sleep with the enemy.

And if there is anything I have learned in the last three years of this script making the rounds, getting me agents and lots of opportunities and three separate options is this:

Stars make movies. Attachments make movies.

I had the money to make this film at two different companies. And it didn't get done because we couldn't get the stars schedules lined up.

So if I choose to give them an option - I immediately have the star attached officially. And I have the power of the Star's agency behind me - which is one of the best packaging agencies in LA. And my chances of making the film immediately go up again.

In fact - to prove this point - the only people screwed worse than me when the Star pulled out before was the mini-major that had green lit the film. And they said if I brought the star back, they would green light it again!

So stars get things done. Sad truth.

Unless your script is so brilliant that you don't need stars. But mine is not that script.

So I need to use my "Hollywood memory" if I deal with them, cause it would be getting in bed with the devil.

Talking with a producer at Paramount later in the day - he seemed to agree with me.

So now - I have to figure out what I will do.


Should I give them a piece of me?
It's just a little piece...
Cause I need somebody...
Before I risk fading away...

Thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger glassblowerscat said...

Dude … be the whore. I'd get in bed with anyone if it would get a script even a little closer to production.

6:38 PM

 
Blogger nondescriptive said...

you could always find an independent production company to go through or do it yourself. How much would it cost? I am a screenwriter and I've been looking for someone to collaborate with. Leave me a comment back on my page and maybe see what happen's. nondescriptiv3.blogspot.com thank you. I just quit my job at the Discovery channel and am freelancing now.

10:19 PM

 
Blogger Emily Blake said...

I don't think there's a writer out here who isn't a whore to some degree. It's part of the business. No reason you should be all high and mighty. Join us in the pit of moral ambiguity. I only wish I had somebody to whore myself out to.

4:41 PM

 
Blogger greg said...

Ms Emily

Definately don't see myself as high and mighty - and definately appreciate the position I find myself in - cause I am lucky to actually have options.

But.

Laying down with the same team that screwed you with the condition that you lose the people that got you into the fight to begin with does go against all I have learned...

But - as Miyagi says...

Maybe it's time to unlearn....

9:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home