Monday, July 10, 2006

Indentity Crisis


It's quite strange.

In production - you have a million balls in the air at once - and every ball is important. Something as minor as cold coffee can ruin an entire day and blow hundreds of thousands of dollars.

As a Producer and Director - which is what I've been for 15 years - I am used to that kind of work.

It has been very strange to go into the film world and be seen as a writer.

Not that writers don't have any respect. Far from it. I've been surprised again and again at how I am treated and the respect I've been given.

But I have agents.
And they rep writers.
And they are used to dealing with writers.
Not producers and directors.

For the last three years - I have been on the phone or meeting with people who will advance the movie somehow for at least two to three hours a day.

In the last year - I was usually on the phone with one of the other producers or with the mini-major for at least 2-3 hours a day.

Three weeks ago - I talked with my agents about going out with the script - and there has been a lot of work going on - I just haven't been involved.

Sure - I still get the email and call every now and then - but not like when I am the producer. And that is to be expected.

But it doesn't make it any easier.

Now - more directors are getting involved - and more people are reading it, and rereading it...

And I'm here working on the art crew.

I know it sounds like whining - but the truth is - I am a good producer.
And I can be very helpful to the process.
Unfortunately - I am not part of it right now.

But. That. Will. Change. Today.

So here I come. Everyone is on call. Time to make my presence felt.

Hold on, Hollywood.

The bag is coming off....

1 Comments:

Blogger japhy99 said...

Go get 'em tiger.

Having some identity crisis myself as I WANT to be on set as a producer all the time, but I have to work the 9-5...

10:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home