Friday, May 05, 2006

I'll set them up, you knock them down


Another update on the latest and greatest...

We have been rejected by yet another star. I think he was classified as STAR3.

For the hint of the day as to who he is...Let's just say he can sing, dance, and is known for losing his head...

The agent also let us know that STAR4 was in a movie right now and would not be available to read the script for some time. We are still in holding for STAR5 and 6. I guess I would be really upset - if I didn't have the reality check of the fact that these parts are very small - we are going after really big names and we are offering them pennies on the dollar to what they actually make.

I guess I was hoping the combined star power of STAR1 and 2 - and the mini-major behind us would grant us some buzz... And I am sure it does - but not enough with these guys who in truth are some of the busiest character actors in the book.

The excitement of knowing that these guys are actually reading your script are quickly tempered by the speed and calculations of their rejections... A double edged sword, at best.

But I guess if you are gonna get rejected - why not get it from the best? So we will continue to send out offers. I'll push for a new one today... We will see how it goes.

All of this comes on the heels of David
writing to tell me that his cast is all locked up and he is ready to go. Bastard! They start shooting soon - and we still spin the wheels of fate - hoping our seed will find purchase in the rocky Hollywood soil.

We did get some news - After much whining and manipulating - we got the head of the mini-major to call the MAJOR AGENCY - not THE agency - but one of "the" agencies - and "they" said they were having one of their top packaging guys look at the script over the weekend and put together another list for us - because this film was "very important" to them. Ha... Well. This is interesting.

The greatest thing about the "big show" is finding out that no matter what level of filmmaking you are at - the lessons you learned at the bottom on all of your low budget bend-over-and-take-it-up-the-poop-chute-with-a-smile still apply - even in the rarefied air of Hollywood. So welcome to show biz - butt pirate!

In other news - spent the whole day gathering together all of my thoughts and notes on my take for BIG PRODUCER. After frantic calls to Blair and a late night meeting with Ryan - I feel as if I'm 85% there. Agents called today to tell me I am booked for next Wednesday - so everything is looking good. Just keep going over it - iron out the logic gaps and work on the relationships and arcs - and everything will be cool. Like I said - I feel as if I really have a good story - I just need to tell it simply and cleanly...

Last but not least - it is really great to be a part of a community. There are so many blogs out there about screenwriting now - but to be able to communicate with other writers and know that others toil away in obscurity reaching for the light as you do makes each of us feel less alone.

For some reason unbeknownst to me - I got a comment and a link from a great writer in England - let's not hold that against her, shall we? - who has been sending me all sorts of traffic from across the seas. She is doing her thing - writing away - all the while about to pop any day with a new child.

Please check out her blog at http://journals.aol.co.uk/bang2write/thewriteway/
It is well worth the visit. Drop by the comment section and tell her hi - and that I sent you.

For tomorrow:
When good intentions go bad... A lesson from the front lines of free takes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home