Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Changing face of technology


Time flies when you're working.

It seems like a thousand years ago we used to edit everything on film.

When I first started at Discovery - the other producer I worked with remembered actually taking one inch video tape and cutting it with scissors.

I joined the business at the height of the video revolution.

We were shooting beta and cutting everything in online suites.

Then non-linear arrived and changed everything.

It really is a whole new world.

The only thing that stays the same is that people still can't replace the story. Doesn't matter how you dress it up - if your story sucks - no amount of CG apes are gonna help you.

We're banging away at our show here.

Put in about 12 hours yesterday and expect to do the same today. Lots to do and lots to get done and never enough time for anything. But if it were the old days - I'd still be freaking out. Cutting and splicing and rolling trims... no thank you...

Its warm in Beijing. Like in the 70's... so it feels deliscious. Too bad I'm stuck in a tiny dirty room all day - working in the dark.

But thank God for the life of the mind... cause while it may be dark and dank in here - in my mind I'm on the beach with my kids... :)

Now all I need is a holodeck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home