Thursday, January 18, 2007

take a dip


China.

Interesting country. Great people. Great place.

Enormous potential.

But still we only wanna dip our toes in there. Just see what the waters like - not actually get wet. We wanna do enough to see if it actually warrants doing more - but not enough to actually see if we've done enough to do it right.

Just take a little dip.

Easy to see why.

Except for opium - there hasn't been a lot of successful imports. The Chinese are really smart and don't make it easy. Even now - at a time when the country is really opening up - and even that is debatable - people don't know. They say they know - but they don't.

This company lost a lot of money when they went in years ago - and so they know they could lose a lot again. So they are cautious. Going softly and slowly where others fear to tread. Sad to say - I am their guide. I wouldn't be the farm on an idiot like me... :)

And now they have me dipping my toes in here as well. I'm producing a shoot here domestically for them too. So right off the plane from China - I'll hit the ground running with a two day shoot here.

Love it.

But today may be the day I get put back in my place.

We shall see.

Last night I spent the evening in a small room in LA with a bunch of people watching the show turning little dials. A big focus group guy who does a lot of work for the President was running it. As people like what they see - they turn the dial up. As they don't - the dial goes down. We watch in real time as the graph goes up and down based on their dials... Interesting and not interesting. You immediately see that group think affects everyone. And they were consistant across the board. But inconsistant as to why they liked things and didn't.

Got back at about 1am. That's closer to 4 am my time. Although I'm becoming less and less sure what my time is. This has been a busy week.

Sigh.

I wanna see my kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

...big write up on time regarding china - pick it up.

8:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home