Monday, December 04, 2006

Quagmire



Do you love bureaucracy?

If you do - you'll love production. It's so full of it. And by it - I mean ...it.

There is many reasons why I've worked as much freelance as I have through the years. I usually don't work for the money - and I try not to take full time jobs as that makes you beholden to the money and the whims of management.

The bigger the company - the bigger the bureaucracy.

And it's entirely understandable - because the bigger you are, the more you have to lose....and so there must be systems in place to protect you and to CYA as much as possible.

And so the interesting situation that you often find yourself in - especially in commercial work because there is so many opinions to be found - is that things are constantly in a state of change because of the difficulty of getting the key decision makers to make a decision.

This also applies to film and TV - but money can be more of a factor there.

I came here last Thursday to start this shoot. I was told on Saturday that the only shoot that I went on in the states to use as a model for what we're shooting here - might not have been the best shoot to use as an example. They wanted to set up a meeting with me on the phone to discuss why I shouldn't do things that way - but they couldn't do it till Monday.

Then Monday became Tuesday.

Then Tuesday - Wednesday.

And we are in the middle of preproduction and location scouting and casting.

So the machine is in motion. But the machine can always be stopped.

(see above picture.)

I think I might feel different if I could sleep. Every night to sleep and no matter what time I go down - 1am, 8:30pm or 11pm - I still wake up at 3:30 am and can't go back to sleep.

Thankfully - I have the pirated version of the American version of the Office to keep me sane.

Laughter can be the best medicine.

Just fake it one day at time...

2 Comments:

Blogger glassblowerscat said...

What happened to your wonder pills? They don't knock you out anymore? Are you immune? Do you need to start taking eight at a time?

I've been a slacker about writing, so I feel kind of bad, but here you are with all these wakeful hours and not accomplishing anything! Write, you pansy!

9:22 AM

 
Blogger Emily Blake said...

Nature is always the best way. Forget pills. You get immune to pills. Have you tried lavender?

Have you tried hiring a large, muscukar man to club you on the head as soon as you wake up?

12:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home