Thursday, September 14, 2006

Come on... Its just a little bunny....


Don't be scared...

When I was a kid - I lived in Asia. Taiwan specifically. No - I'm not Chinese - but Taiwan was my home.

In Asia - we don't have a lot of space. So when they build - they have to build up. And up. And up.

We had a big newfangled department store move into our town. 14 stories. I worked in the basement - at the first Pizza place in our town. For $1.50 an hour. But all the pizza I could eat. Trust me - it evened out.

On the roof of the 14 story building - they built an amusement park.

Genius eh?

In Asia - there is not the same legal and insurance issues as we have here - but you would think that someone somewhere would stop and think that maybe its not a great idea to have a go cart track 14 stories up in the air...

But for me - as a kid - each day as the store would close and the guys that ran the amusement park would leave - I would get in the employee elevator and ride to the top with my cohort David.

We would push start a go car - at 11pm at night - in the dark - and begin to race around the track in pitch black laughing and crashing with no thought of taking a premature 14 story dive.

Fast forward 15 years.

It's Bill's birthday.

We have been in China for a month and a half - and all we are doing is meetings. We are trying to shoot a big drama series - but its taking forever. Each day we sit in a smoke filled room for 4-5 hours fighting over contract points. I'm literally losing my mind.

So to do something special - we go bungy jumping.

No matter how big that safety mat is - from 100 feet in the air - it looks like a spec. A dot. And everything in your body rebels against any idea of jumping off something and aiming for that nanobyte.

But you do it. And you smile and feel great. Unless you're Shawn - and then you curse like a sailor.

The older you get - the less you risk.

My family has never really had money - so money is not that big of a motivator for us. Except when you can't pay your bills - and then it sucks to be you. So usually the right thing comes along at the right time - or the wrong thing at the right time - and you do it cause you have to - or cause you want to -

Whatever.

I still jump.

This new job? Who knows? It's a jump. As long as I get to shoot and Direct and Produce and Write - I jump. It's gonna be a lot of work in China.

Jump.

We ate dinner the other night with our 23 year old neighbors. She wondered what kind of retirement I had.

At 23.

I don't.
Doesn't that worry you? Meaning - that should worry you.

And deep down - it doesn't. Too much. I'm sure it will one day. But not yet.

Hell - I'm pushing 40 now - and I see so many 20 somethings looking for stability and a good job with the right benefits- doing something they hate cause its good for the money or the resume...

And don't get me wrong - all those things are good.

But for God's sake - Jump. Do something crazy. Take a chance while you can...

Cause one day you'll grow up. And wish you did.

And you'll only have the big white bunny to blame.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seeds of Glass said...

Jump eh? ...there's a little grass strip in Maryland where we did just that a few times this summer.

Nice post, I guess I fall into that 20 something catagory don't I?
How would you say the idea of stability/good stewardship balance with the concept of faith? It's something I wonder about alot.

12:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home