Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Irritated...

(insert ironically silly picture here)


Not sure what the problem is with blogger here. It doesn't like my posts and it doesn't like to upload any pictures. All I know it puts me in a great mood to start my day.

Wrote a post yesterday and it wouldn't take. No sense posting it now - its yesterday's news.

But for those of you keeping score at home - here's the lowdown:

Had three meetings yesterday.

1- Manager/Producer who loves my script and wants to package it and make it.

2- STAR1's Brother and Agent who want the script

3- An agent that likes the script and maybe more?

So this is how they played out.

1- Manager Producer guy is pretty cool. Says that reading my script reminded him of the first time he read Resevoir Dogs - with a touch of Paul Thomas Anderson. Probably couldn't have come up with a more flattering thing to say to butter me up. He said there is no reason why this shouldn't be done - and done now. Had lots of good contacts and really felt confident that he pull this off and pull it off fast.

And then it got a bit silly.

He said he knew who would be perfect for the lead. And it is not STAR1. Not sure what it is about STAR1 that inspires such hatred. Anyway. He reaches in his bag and starts pulling out poster after poster of his star in these indy film. Then he pulls out dvd's of this guys stuff. And really tries to push him.

Now this guy is known for being sort of a goofy comic actor - and truthfully - I should be so lucky, right? And I actually really like this guy - But he is not someone that opens a movie. So it was really kinda surreal - that this guy who just seconds ago was telling me how he could make all this happen - and then he is trying to sell me on his client.

He did give me a pitch that he wanted me to think about writing... Strange idea - but could be funny.

I told him I'd call...

2-Found the restaurant. There was a guy pacing back and forth in front on a phone - and sure enough - it turns out to be the AGENT. Brother arrives and we all sit and talk. Small talk. Gossip talk. All the pleasantries. Then business.

It was simple really. Didn't talk any details of the option - just the details out of how this would all go down and how it would all come together. I said we have been down this road before - but he explained that we hadn't been down this road with the AGENCY behind us. And now we had that. He threw out crazy names - names that have been on my list since the start - and it just went from there. No name calling. No blame game. Just a very simple conversation. No threats. Just (empty?) promises. That this would be the next film. New year start. So there you go.

We ended with AGENT telling me he would call me in the afternoon to discuss the details - but that didn't happen.

So the jury is still out. But it was good. It felt right -
EXACTLY HOW BETRAYING YOUR FRIENDS AND SELLING YOUR SOUL SHOULD FEEL-
I mean- it was nice. And might actually mean the movie will get made.

3-New agency. Wow. This place is cool. Best designed space I have seen - and I've seen a lot of agencies. The guy is really cool. It was a good meeting. A little dancing - cause we aren't saying anything about representation. But he does treat me like a producer - which is new. We end with him promising to give me a list of directors and actors that he thinks would be good for the film.

And there we go. Hooked up with Ralph and Tadd for dinner at Harrison Ford's son's place for dinner. Talked. Laughed. Gave Tadd notes on his new script. He might get me some writing work for his company.

And that was it.

No news at all on SF. Not sure what it means - but probably not that I got it. SO there it goes. But might make things easier for if the movie really has a chance to go in January.

And on the script - I'm at page 17. Gotta figure the next move.


Now let's see if this will post.

3 Comments:

Blogger glassblowerscat said...

Well … sounds like you're having about as mixed a week in LA as one might have expected.

You have to focus on the positives … leave all the negativity up to me. And I'll bring it, baby. You know I will.

2:19 PM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

Wow, sounds like an exciting if ridiculous ride so far. You're a step or five ahead of me. Hopefully Ford's Filling Station means there's a Sony connection in there somewhere. Good Luck! And thank you for your kind words over in my world. :)
h

11:52 AM

 
Blogger japhy99 said...

Whao, dude. Sorry I abandoned the blogosphere.

Thanks for the tips the other day.

Kick ass on the new script. I've started outlining mine but haven't dove back into the Harlem rewrite.

Here's to getting on the stick. Or the shaft.

12:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home