Friday, April 14, 2006

Kick ass and take names


Chuck Norris doesn't sleep... He waits.

How bad do you want it?

My wife and I got married as kids. I was 21 - my wife was 14. But trust me - she was really mature for her age - if you know what I mean...I had just finished college - and we got married 2 weeks before I started grad school. I thought marriage can't be that tough - after all - you are choosing to be together...

But it was hard. And no matter what someone tells you - it doesn't matter till you do it yourself. I have no regrets about that day at all - except that in a few weeks my wife will finally be 21 - and she really wants to get drunk...Then who will drive me home?

I remember when I first met my wife. She said that she had heard that men could now carry children - and she was really excited cause there was no way she wanted to do it. Once we got married - we waited seven years - but eventually we - and by we, I mean she- popped out two wonderful kids.

Everyone tells you how it would be. Books, TV, friends and family. But we had no idea. No idea at all. Sure its great. Yes, its wonderful and fun. But it is very very hard as well.

Somewhere in our entitlement driven lives - we actually start to think that we deserve something. At least a shot. That we have talent. That we should be able to use it. Sigh... Young naive grasshopper.

When I took off for Indiana - hitting the road to come here with Shawn to raise a couple million dollars - I knew it was crazy - but I also thought we could do it. If we just met the right people - told them our story - we could find a couple people crazy enough to buy into our vision. (David is in the middle of this now - having just raised his money and getting ready to start shooting)

That was almost three years ago.

You hear of people who just write a script and suddenly they are millionaires and everyone wants to work with them. You think... That could be me! As soon as I finish this script - I'll hit the jackpot when people see how brilliant I am.

Then you hear about the guy who writes and writes and writes - and finally - 10 years in - sells that first idea - or he sells it - and 10 years later, it finally hits the screen. And you think - poor slub. Thank God that's not me.

Well. Each day in is a reality check.

I wish that I knew how to hedge my bets.

I packed the family up and moved. I quit my job. I pored all we had into doing this - depleting our meager saving and spending all my time trying to make this happen. All I wanted at the end of the day was to not look like a complete idiot.

A bit of a dork, maybe. A moron, possibly. But just not a complete idiot.

And here we are. Getting closer. Looking like we might actually go.

So it looks like it might actually be a bet that pays off... (sure - I could be writing my suicide post in a couple days - but for now the future seems bright...)

But if I was really truthful - and I could have had the me from now - send back from the future a note that said - be careful - it's gonna take three years to get this thing going. Three years from the day you start.

I don't know if I would have done it.

We literally are down to fumes. It has cost us a lot. On the other side - I have great contacts. Agents. A great manager. Wonderful friends. I spent two years at home almost everyday with my child bride and our cool kids. The only downside being everyone asking - how's the movie coming? And not knowing the right way to respond.

My point is this - I think - We all wanna think we can win the lottery. But we are more like shoemakers. Each pair gets a little better. And the more we make - the more skilled we become. It is not a sprint. It is a marathon. And while almost everyone that comes here is already involved in the business in some way - it doesn't make it easier.

But if we really count the cost - we might give up before it's even started.

At the same time - for anyone who knows me - if a complete fool like me can make it -there is so much hope for all of you. So I guess I am an object lesson in paradox.

So for today - time to put on my Chuck Norris Jeans... Cause we just got word from Star1 that his offer looks great and is on its way to the lawyers...

Chuck Norris doesn't believe in global warming. He just woke up cold and turned the sun up....

2 Comments:

Blogger YAJC said...

bro-
you do not give yourself enough credit.... not any joker can do what you do -

pjj.... i laughed just seeing chuck sporting the action jeans.

10:13 AM

 
Blogger glassblowerscat said...

I'm also crying … but more because I just glimpsed my future …

Where can I find a hopelessly underage Asian wife to get me through this difficult time?

10:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home