Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Off to the races


Hungry?

Another day - another flight.

Hard to really be happy that I'll actually be in one place for a month and not having to fly when that place is China - and I'll be so busy I won't be able to see straight.

But the great news is it still looks as if my wife will actually be able to come and be there for two weeks. Amazing. She will keep me sane. I think... :)

China is still freaking out. There is so much to do in so little time and so many cooks in so many kitchens - its hard to believe that anyone can make a decision.

I sat with my buddy Shawn yesterday who basically in one year rose in the ranks of his company to be the point guy for all of international. Shawn was my partner in crime for about 10 years and now he is the head guy for a giant company. He is busting out all over.

Shawn's always been an exceptionally smart guy - and no one reads an opportunity like him. He is very political and works his way into a situation till he becomes indispenable.

Smart.

I am not that guy.

I'm the same middle finger - yesterday, today and tomorrow.

I don't care about politics. I just do my job - working hard to get the best I can in the situation I'm in. I don't check in often enough - I follow my gut - and I take the blame when things go wrong. When they go right - everyone else takes the credit.

Its all good.

I don't have big agendas and I don't try to position myself to move up. I just love production and try to do really good shoots and write the best scripts I know how to do.

I have been put in charge of all the negotiations for the big star. The China office wanted to take charge - but the head of the US side said I'm the guy. Not sure why they trust me - but that's how it goes down. I told them my strategy - which usually involves playing dumb and saying I'm not a decision maker - and then guiding the conversation towards the direction I hope it goes.

Just like a director.

I'm not the yeller/screamer/intimidator type. I'm the soft talking/asking questions/subtly suggesting type. Hey - its worked for 15 years - I'm gonna ride that horse till it bucks.

I told China its amazing that things have worked so well and so fast. I joked - everything is really great. We should have an awesome show as long as I don't screw it up.

There was a long pause on the other end - and then the boss said -

Exactly.

On your marks. Get Set. Fail.

Bang.

1 Comments:

Blogger japhy99 said...

How could you possibly screw it up when you have a belly full of bull's penis and sleeping pills?

You are MADE TO WIN, fueled like that.

10:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home