Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The day after


So the shoot went well...

We had a really insanely long day. We started at the hotel at 7:30am and didn't get back here till past 11... But it was good. We tried to cram an entire 3 days of shooting into two - and we were somewhat successful. We ended up with a bit over 8.5 hours of footage.

Surely you will be able to cut a good 3-4 minute trailer out of that...

On the fun side - I ran a camera all day. While I am not or ever will be a camera man - I still really enjoyed doing something other than just telling the cameraman what to do. I think I got some really nice stuff that can intercut with his really good stuff.

The bad side - you always need more. We were running and gunning all day - and while I feel as if we got the story - we could have used more B roll with the people to help tell the story visually.

But it was great to see David again and hang out all day. And Gregoire did a really wonderful job of lighting and keeping up with the crazy pace - as long as he had cigarettes nearby. Bob - our soundman - seemed pleasant enough - but he never quite recovered from the waitress at lunch dumping my ice tea into his lap. He was ready for the day to end.

We were filming a great couple who might want to move. And we spent some time with a crypto-astrologer. Needless to say - he was an interesting guy. He was a really nice and fun version of David Caradine in Kill Bill.

It fun to see the "reality" of reality TV in action again. I did a home improvement series a few years ago that was trying to ride the "reality" wave... Funny how people really wanted to believe that reality shows would go away... But they are here to stay.

Reality is just like any other dramatic TV show - with out the professional actors and half the crew. You are doing the same thing - except backwards. You manufacture conflict and tension on the set - and then write the show in the edit room.

Our couple here did a great job of just being natural - and it was funny to see them fall into a little routine that created tension. It was as easy as turning the camera on - giving them a little direction - and setting them in motion. I made sure to tell David that the way to report their great performances was that they were completely wooden and stoic until I applied my director magic and brought them to life...

Lazarus... Come out!

It was great to be working again at something I love with people I like. So thanks again David...

Now back to the regularly scheduled whining....

I am up and ready to go - heading back home today.

In fact - today is my dad's birthday. So happy birthday Dad. I'll be getting off a plane and heading to his house for dinner.

Even though it's only been two days away - I miss the family like crazy - so it will be good to be going home. Especially with some future money in the pocket.

Next week - it is off to Virginia and working for Bill.

Till tomorrow - try to stay one step ahead of the alligators....

1 Comments:

Blogger wcdixon said...

read through your page and a lot of good stuff...want to see now how the movie, you directing, stars, and the deal all plays out...

12:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home