Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Are you ready to Rock?!?


We have seen this hairstyle at least 15 times since arriving in Beijing this trip.

I walk down the street and feel like I'm in a White Snake video.

My wife and I were having a little talk this morning.

Yesterday - the whole family came to work with me. While I edited away - the kids played their PSP's and the wife took a nap. But we went out to my favorite noodle stand for lunch and had a feast.

On the way back - there were a group of workers gathered in front of two shops - a small printers and an ATM. While people were going in and out of the shops - there was a couple workers up on top of the roof - about 2 stories up- and a group gathered on the ground.

The two guys on the roof were busy throwing down large heavy sharp RUSTY sheets of metal to the ground below. No one was telling anyone to not go in and out of the shops. No safety tape was set up. Nothing.

The only warning you would have would either be the crashing of large siler death slapping itself on the pavement - or the screams of victims as they witnessed the large metal objects and they cut through their torsos.

Once the pieces hit the ground - different guys would pick them up and walk away.

This is the funny part.

What disturbed my wife was that they weren't using gloves.

She was worried about the safety of their hands.

I believe I've related the story here of my old Chinese producer friend who - when confronted by an article that said 100,000 Chinese men a year will die from lung cancer starting in 2000- said - Well, there are a lot of Chinese.

Its a different way of thinking, people. It ain't America.

But whatever you may think of the way people think or treat their customers - there is one place where everyone can be a kind for a day.

The Hair Salon.

I took my daughter last night to get her hair cut while I got mine cut. Last time I went here - I filled out a bunch of paperwork and was given a VIP card. So the first thing they do is put you in a big smock and wash your hair.

Like three times.

And give you a head massage.

Then they put on Conditioner.

Then they wrap you up again in new wraps and give you something to drink. And a plate of snacks.

Finally - they start cutting your hair.

And while they cut - a girl stands by with a foam pad to gently brush off the stray hairs that fall on your face.

Once the cut is done - and it's never taken less than 40 minutes - even when you have as little hair left as I do - they take you back and wash your hair again - getting all the loose hair off.

That's what it feels like to be given the VIP treatment. Makes you wanna sing.

As a side note:

Its interesting to see my daughter become a little lady. She is so no nonsense right now. Doesn't think a lot about what she wears - as long as its comfortable. She'll wear some of my wife's T shirts if she can. Doesn't like people to fuss over her. Doesn't like to take a shower or brush her teeth... :) Nothing.

But here - she's enjoyed the attention. She loved getting a massage. She really liked everyone fussing over her getting a haircut - even though she thought the cut was too short - and she even wanted me to get her a dress - tailor made...

What is going on!?!?

Growing up, I guess.

At least she still loves baseball. And computer games. She's still my little girl. At least for now...

Till she discovers Whitesnake....

1 Comments:

Blogger glassblowerscat said...

It's okay if she likes Whitesnake. No accounting for tastes. But keep her away from those ManOWar guys.

1:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home