Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Can't we all get along?


I felt like I was in a mini-united nations. Or the cast of Sesame Street.

Let me explain.

The company pays for my stays here in China. Of course they do - cause I'm here for them.

Last December - when we were getting ready for our first shoot - I moved here to the Kerry Center because we had two locations here we thought we were going to film. Two day before the shoot - they told us they changed their minds and didn't think it was the best idea.

Happens. Not often. But it does happen.

Lucky for them I had already moved my crew in and we were here for a month.

For some reason - even after that slight - I didn't leave.

Mostly because I knew the Sales guy - and it was easy to email him when I was coming and get a room. The longer I stayed - the cheaper it got - and my stays got longer and longer.

Once we were done shooting - Company suggested I find an apartment. Which made sense - since my family would be coming out.

Lucky for me - hotel has aparments attached to them.

So we moved to the apartments - where I've been for the last three months.

The apartments are funny things. Expensive things. But nice. Furnished. Private. Cleaners come through twice a week. Have your own washer dryer... That kind of thing.

Last night they were having a party for the residents.

I haven't really met anyone. Most of the time - the elevators are empty. I ran into a guy from Singapore who has lived here 10 years with his family. 10 YEARS! Oh my gosh...

The other guy I met is John. John is from Australia - looks to be in his early 50's. We met after seeing each other at different places in the hotel 3 times in one day. Since then - we continue to run into each other all the time. He moved here with his wife - left his life behind - and is studying Chinese. They planned to stay a month - and now they are one their third.

So my table was me - American.
John - Australian.
Chu - John's wife - from Singapore.
A Finnish lady and her daughter. They have been here for 10 years - and she had an extensive knowledge of Chinese history - going as far as to tell me the book on Mao that I was starting was complete rubbish.
A Frenchman who works for a gas company and his wife from Shanghai and their 13 year old daughter. I tried talking to the wife in English - because they had only been here 10 days and I didn't want to assume she spoke Chinese - but as soon as I did - she breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Three Japanese ladies who we never talked to.

A mini-United Nations. With less fighting.

The conversation was thrown around the table about everything from morality, to politics, to Chinese customs and history.

The dinner was billed as a BarBQue and wine meal. Very strange combo I thought. Stranger still was the meat which really didn't resemble any BarBQue I've ever tasted.

But the entertainment more than made up for it.

A Chinese clown - who doubled as a magician. He had a whistle in his mouth that he would blow loud and incessantly whenever he felt people weren't paying enough attention to him.

Three Chinese dancing girls - who changed outfits 5 times - and seem to get into skimpier and skimpier clothes. Not sure who ordered them - but the old Japanese men loved them.

And last but not least:

A 20 year old long haired European kid with a saxophone. He looked like an extra from the Simpsons. He insisted on walking through the crowd - blowing notes at the back of your head until you stopped talking and paid attention.

Quite enjoyable.

All in all - a really interesting and fun night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

...sure - go have your fun...

people in darfur continue to die by the thousands!





:P

7:45 PM

 
Blogger glassblowerscat said...

The weird shit you do when you're in China ... all to avoid writing, as far as I can tell. ;D

3:02 AM

 
Blogger Emily Blake said...

Jesus what is with you and clowns?

Thanks for not showing a picture of that guy.

But something is bothering me.

"I tried talking to the wife in English - because they had only been here 10 days and I didn't want to assume she spoke Chinese - but as soon as I did - she breathed a huge sigh of relief."

Does this mean she was relieved you were speaking to her in English, or that she was relieved when you finally spoke to her in Chinese?

11:19 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

haven't you seen what greg looks like?

she was obviously very happy this white casanova uttered words to her!

5:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home