Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Recovering


Bleah.

Tueday was a long night.

For some reason - I got sick. Not like, puking sick... just like - you've been going in and out of highpowered air conditioning to 104 degree heat too many times - type sick.

My head was pounding and my nose would just run uncontrollably. We have no 24 hour Walmart here - so I was forced to use napkins to blow my nose - and it got uglier from there.

Needless to say - I was thankful we have a clinic in the basement of the Apartments here - and when I went in and told them my symptoms - they told me to talk to the pharmacist - who promplty gave me medicine. No doctor visit - nothing... and I feel much better.

Who knew?

We finally got approval for our latest show - so it's a flurry of activity here in Beijing. Onlining - mixing - and preparing versions. I love versions. Millions of shows with just tiny little tweaks that are so easy to miss - all going out at the same time under enormous deadlines.

Whee!

I'm also hanging under the weight of the fact that my family is leaving me.

The kids start school next week and so they must return home. Unfortunately - I must stay for another couple weeks. The days do seem to get longer and longer when they're away.

But what do you do?

You keep on keeping on... I guess. Till something else happens.

They head off for the Summer Palace today - one of my favorites - and a great way to spend your last day in China before going back to the middle of Indiana.

I'm halfway through Iris Chan's Rape of Nanking - and dear God is it a depressing book. I don't know if there are many great pilliaging books that make you feel triumphant - but wow... this is definately a dark day in the history of China and Japan. It's amazing to see the selfless acts of the people who stepped up and tried their best to stop things - even when their own lives are at stake. You always think about what you would do in a situation like that - but who knows if you really could. Just reading about it makes me want to crawl up in a ball and cry for mommy.

But - like all tragedies - they are very quickly forgotten and we move on. The promise of never again seems to ring hollow in our ears. But hopefully in this case... it truely will be so.

And on that happy note... :) Off to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home